and news of The Desloge Sun "On-line" is derived
from The Desloge Sun is a quarterly publication
of the City of Desloge, Missouri. The title of this
community newsletter was inspired by its distinction in
history as the name of the "only newspaper to ever be
published in the town of Desloge." The following is an
excerpt from Desloge, Missouri and Surrounding Area,
by Mr. Dave Darnell (available at the City of Desloge
Public Library) detailing the history of The Desloge Sun
Desloge Sun is the only newspaper to ever be published
in the town of Desloge. The first paper was published
on August 3, 1907 in a small building on the north side
of Oak Street between Main and Lincoln.
Frank Abernathy, who was out of work because of a
cutback in the area's mining operations purchased a
small armory press from his employer. Then Abernathy
found a local politician who believed in advertising and
obtained $200, which he used to order a type foundry, a
small powered pearl jobber press, and a few cases of
type. However, when the equipment arrived he found that
he had no money to pay the freight.
took a dozen blank receipts and found enough people with
faith in his project to buy subscriptions so that he
could pay the freight. He also was able to find eight
men to help him set up the equipment.
began the history of The Desloge Sun, which later was
sold to Mr. C.E. Abshier; who subsequently sold the
newspaper to Mr. W.L. Bouchard, in who then sold it to
Mr. S.C. Woodruff, and later reclaimed ownership.
23, 1925, Mr. Bouchard, having recently purchased the
Leadbelt News made the announcement that The Desloge Sun
would cease publication.
Sun assumes a new life as the community newsletter, a
publication of the City of Desloge. Mailed to
residents, and posted here, to facilitate better
communication of events, happenings and news. Each
issue will include articles of local interest and issues
of concern within the City of Desloge.